Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Drives Me Crazy (Orig. 12/18/08)



I am the product of a one car family. This is not an issue for the most part; however, it does lead to the fact that I don’t drive that often. That, my drinking problem*, and my fears. But I digress.
*written, obviously, before I quit drinking.

So maybe it’s just me not being used to driving or even keeping my eyes on the road, but when did everyone become mentally disabled when driving? Mostly in the snow. Now I saw that 99 percent of the cars had NY license plates. And I didn’t hear about a rash of relocating to the capital city of Albany, so what in the fuck is wrong with you people? It’s snow. You live in the northeast. Get on with it!!!

The weathermen would’ve led you to believe that we were getting destroyed by the nuclear bomb of a storm last night. I barely had to take out my brush/ice scraper. So is it the weatherman’s fault? Let’s break it down into why you drive the way you do, because I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt, and in the spirit of the holidays not call you a fucking idiot tool bag ass munch.

1.     The Weathermen/Women. Or Meteorologist if they had 10 grand more to shell out in How to Be a Liar school. I don’t stare directly into the high-def glowing talking picture box as much as most so maybe I miss the brainwashing hypnosis that makes you believe that there will be snow, and you’ll be lucky if you can climb out your second floor window and take your dog sled to work! You were right to cancel that Tupperware party you had planned for 10 days from now—you might just barely be getting back on your feet then. Use that Tupperware to dig yourself out of that half inch of slush that actually fell.
2.     You Hibernate In The Winter. But this year, I don’t know, maybe you had to go out and get your cable converter; otherwise, you won’t be able to watch 6, 10 and 13. Goddamn cable Nazis! Messing with your rabbit ears which have worked just fine since you got them in 1946. So you go out and not only are you unfamiliar with all the new traffic lights, lines in the road, speed limits over 25 and these new fangled automobiles, you have to deal with snow on top of it? You poor thing. You get a pass.
3.     You Just Moved To The Northeast. You had to have just moved here from Florida or something. You don’t even know what snow looks like. The first time you saw frost in the yard, you went out and rolled around, desperately trying to make a snow angel until your wet hair from the shower froze to the ground and your neighbors laughed and shamed you back indoors. Now that you’ve seen your first snowfall, you are scared to death. Just stay home whenever it snows, it’s safer. I have to think people like this are the rarest of any category. After all, who would move here from Florida? Isn’t it the other way around?
4.     You’re Old. I love old people, I really do. And I want you to go about your life as if you were still in your swinging sixties, but you just can’t. Chances are you’re slightly curved in the back, which reduces your height and thus limits your view over the steering wheel and dashboard. The worst part of this is that I will have already honked, flashed my lights, and sped past you with my middle finger poised before I realize that you are an adorable old person. And then I will feel AWFUL! Did you ever think about how I might feel? I will give you my number and be a surrogate grandchild to get you to and fro since your asshole family is not helping you out, deal?
5.     You’re Sixteen. Give me your parents’ phone number so that I can:
A)   Kick their ass for paying off whatever shady DMV guy gave you your license.
B)    Slap them around for letting you drive your new sweet sixteen present while you totally text Amber to say that you're skipping school to go to the mall, or:
C)    Let them know that you’re having sex and doing drugs, whether or not it’s true, so they maybe punish you by not letting you drive till spring comes or until you’ve grown a brain.

Basically, everyone should be used to the fact that these are the Northeastern United States, this is not the first snowfall ever, nor is it even close to being the worst storm we’ve ever had. Remember twenty years ago when you would get four feet of snow and school wouldn’t be cancelled (Ichabod Crane excluded)? So relax, save your double latte fuckachino till you get to work so that you're not white knuckling your way down I-90 to get to work. Or move south. Your choice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment