Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Snowday! (orig 12/8/08)


I work in Albany, the capital of the great state of New York. Currently we are suffering the worst winter we’ve had in years (prompt the “so much for global warming!” argument which is just GENIUS if you ask me).

Anyway, people seem to forget that this is typical winter of days of yore. In 1987 we got about 4 feet of snow in October! Now we get four inches and it’s pandemonium. You go to the grocery store – smart move, no sarcasm here – to get things so that you don’t have to go out when the weather is worse. Riddle me this, why bread, water, milk and eggs? If this truly is an apocalyptical storm of the millennium, why perishable goods? But I digress. If you’re going to panic, just stay home.

The reason why this has got my goat today is because of where I am regionally. It should come as no surprise that we get snow, given that we live in the northeastern United States. However, people walk around mystified. “What are these magical cold flakes of white that are falling to earth? Are the angel’s wings shedding feathers? Is this God’s dandruff?” No, it’s fucking snow. And it’s winter. Let’s move on.

Another regional encumbrance is this land only known as “The Hills”.

Moron number one: “There supposed to get like twice as much in The Hills.”

Moron number two: “I live in The Hills. I am probably going to stay home tomorrow.”

Then, the reason for my headphones at my desk is because these people call their town folk who I can only assume are guarding The Hills to check on the weather “up there”. And then, as if we haven’t heard their conversation, they get off the phone and repeat to whoever’s around that “My mom said it’s getting pretty nasty up there.”

I grew up in the country. Small farming community of fewer than 1000 people and many, many hills. We lived in a village. There are hills around us, that’s what makes it a village. Got it? Now a majority of my friends lived in hilly areas. You know what they got? They got chains for the snow tires on their 4 wheel drive automobiles. You know what they didn't get? Excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment